Saturday, April 21, 2018

Saturday Film Club: Lartigue Monorail



I've never had any interest in visiting Ireland, apart from one thing. I'd like to see the Listowel monorail reconstruction. For the minute, I'll make do with this video showing a run along the line. Operated by a diesel-powered replica locomotive, it's certainly quite something. 

My understanding is that the weird looking system was much easier to lay over uneven ground than conventional tracks. It would have to be, in all other respects, it's a right pain!

While looking at this, another piece of old film appeared, this time showing the original steam-powered version:



1 comment:

Richard Huss said...

I'd have thought there was more that would be of interest to you across the water, like the very extensive industrial narrow gauge networks of Bord na Móna. But each to his own!

On the national network a huge amount has changed, though - particularly the near total demise of semaphore signalling, and the disappearance of the loco hauled, steam heated, wooden bodied stock which I remember from the late 80s :-(