Friday, January 12, 2018

Palitoy S Gauge coaches

Palitoy S Gauge coaches

S scale has always fascinated me. A couple of years ago, I had the chance to build a wagon kit in the scale for a magazine series and this involved me carrying out a little research. 

The SSMRS history web page threw up something I hadn't know - in 1951, Palitoy sold an RTR train set. That's the same Palitoy I always associate with Action Man or Star Wars figures. 

The set consisted of a GWR Prarie, a couple of coaches and circuit of track. It was crude but at least it existed. Sadly, the set wasn't a success and it quickly vanished, to be the preserve of collectors of weird model railway stuff. 

People like me. 

I've been keeping an eye out for a set on eBay for a while but they are rare. Imagine my surprise then, when perusing the cabinets at Hereford Model Centre, I spot a couple of the coaches for £3 each. 

 They are horribly crude. Some sharp-eyed people will spot the lack of bogies under the body. Each coach is 182mm long and 45mm wide so a way off scale - they look seriously dumpy.

No matter, these are a genuine curiosity. One day I'll track down a loco to go with them. 

No comments: