Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Dotti chassis

Nothing much changes. Many years ago, I'd look at Saltford Models kits with chassis made of a simple U-shaped channel fitted with a cheapo motor and gears. The biggest change now is that the wheels are turned steel rather than whitemetal, and the modeller has to stick 3 pre-cut bits of plastic together to make the channel.

The point is, it works.

Although the model can be built to 32mm or 45mm gauges, I've gone for the former as I'd like to run this at the 16mm Assoc. steaming sessions. It also seems more like a 32mm loco than the wider 45. Building it in both gauges would be interesting...

Brass bearings are pressed into the pre-made holes using a vice first and then parts are glued together with an ABS solvent. A spray of Halfords matt black was left to dry overnight before all the parts were fitted.

I deveated from the instructions in a couple of places.

First, there are very think plastic spacers behind the wheels to stop them rubbing in the chassis sides and wearing the paint away. B to B is 1mm wider then it should be but only half of that is down to the spacers. I can't see this being a big problem, this isn't P4!

Second, the switches are bolted in place rather than glued. Since holes are provided for this, I assume it's to avoid the cost (money and time) of providing the tiny bolts. I feel this is a more engineering solution and anyway, I'd probably get glue in the switches.

Up and running in a couple of hours, there really isn't anything to worry about with this sort of wonderfully crude engineering. That's what I love about this end of the hobby, anyone can have a go. 

First, some very thin plasticard washers

No comments: