Tuesday, October 31, 2017

I'll paint it the colours I want.

The paint colours on the 2CV instructions don't tally with the picture on the front of the box. According to the black & white details, everything is grey. According to the full-colour box picture, we get a brown cloth cover. And a chrome trim strip on the sill.

The later isn't moulded into the body, and I doubt was ever a feature of this most basic of cars. The much more attractive roof is only paint so I picked a colour I liked and went for it.

Before this, however, the body was dry-brushed with the grey let down with some pale grey. I wanted to highlight the raised areas and provide a little more apparent relief on the wings. It worked OK, you see the emphasis but it's not obvious that this is happening, an effect I prefer to the "hyper-realistic" painting seen on some military models.

Inside, the tan seats have a wash of Citadel Nulin oil to show up the stitching, although it just makes them look a bit grubby.

Still to do - was black ink over the radiator grille (not radiator, they were air cooled, but you know what I mean) and colour the front and rear window seals with permanent marker for that rubbery look. 

2 comments:

Andy in Germany said...

You rebel, you...

I've never understood the method or advantages of 'inking'. I tried a couple of times but ended up making a mess and using acrylic thinned with alcohol instead. Could you cover Inking in your updates?

Phil Parker said...

Happy to add it to the list for the next few weeks. Got some exciting boat updates first but I'll get there.