Thursday, September 28, 2017

Vintage speedboat


Another kit from the pile, this time a vintage speedboat - well it's a change from all the toy trains.

The kit is from George Turner, bought as part of his sale of models when he gave up making boats to concentrate on slot cars years ago. It sat in the stash of projects for a long while before in a fit of enthusiasm, I hauled it out for what I hoped would be a quick build (regular readers will know how this goes) when I ordered all the mechanical bits.

Depressingly, I see from the receipt this took place in September 2016. Still, after cluttering up the place for a year, I've finally made a start.

A few details - the model is around 43cm long and 14cm wide. It's a freelance vintage speedboat with concessions to building an operating model. One of these is the main reason I didn't crack on earlier, the rudder is apparently (there are no instructions and I've never seen a built example) supposed to hang out the back. Modern racing RC boats do this with some aluminium stuff but to fit that would require the lump to be cut off the back so I'm going to improvise instead. 


This isn't going to be a super realistic model. It can't be with that back end. Instead it will end up a little cartoonish but hopefully be a fun model to take for a spin on the lake.

Lots of thinking has gone into the name and I'm currently in favour of "Miss-Chief" in the manner of a 60s custom car.

2 comments:

Bill said...

How I wish my projects only dated from September 2016!

Phil Parker said...

Sadly, this is a relatively modern one...