Tuesday, August 15, 2017

EiM and Garden Rail in the shops


It's a big day - the first issues of Garden Rail and Engineering in Miniature magazines I have been responsible for hit the news stands.

Starting in the garden, I've filled it with lots of construction articles, some of which cover topics that I've always wondered about. Clockwork power? It can be done, but the power source comes from an unexpected device and not one I'd imagined when contemplating the idea.

Building locos in plastic is another of my "things" and to see someone build an electric Gauge 1 loco appeals to me enormously. It's putting larger scales in reach of those without a massive workshop.

We've also some laser-cut kit action from both IP Engineering and Phil Sharples - again, very much my sort of thing with my background in cheap'n'cheerful garden modelling.

There's some nifty building work with a smoking distillery and Mel Turbutt finds space for a 16mm line with an article opening with a photo that could be a real scene. I told the designer to use it large...

The cover of Engineering in Miniature is in my opinion, stunning showing Alan Barnes 6 inch Burrell. The moment I opened the file, I knew it was going on the front of the magazine!

Model Engineers enjoy show reports and so we have several including the all important narrow gauge IMLEC efficiency trials and a look around Statfold Barn.

Since these are my first issues, I'm still on a learning curve. The process has been interesting and it's going to take me a few months to really get hold of both, but in the meantime, I think readers will like what they find (probably some really obvious typos...). I've a few ideas for the future to really make them burst with content, so get down to Smiths and bag yourself a copies.

2 comments:

Huw Griffiths said...

"I think readers will like what they find (probably some really obvious typos)."

Thankfully, most of us aren't that cruel.

Not having been involved in the magazine production process, we're likely to notice stuff like that very quickly - and then look at the content.

In fact, the content is the really important bit - if it's good - if it's worth reading - if it's worth reading again - we buy … .


To be honest, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these magazines - what sort of content readers submit - and what the finished product looks like.

Somehow, I suspect that a lot of people might like what they find.

Jeffrey Showell said...

Congratulations, Phil. It's a big day!