Monday, February 27, 2017

Toy Fair report in RMMR


Last month I headed down to the London Toy Fair, and the report I wrote from this can be found in the latest issue of Railway Magazine guide to Model Railways.

Unlike the main mags I write for, RMMR allows me a much wider brief. Obviously I spent most of my time on the Oxford Rail, Hornby and Bachmann stands, but the editor also wanted coverage of some of the train shaped toys found elsewhere.

With this in mind, I've photographed Big Jigs, Hape, Playmobile and Indigo Jam products for a page of proper, wooden, toys.


While some may turn their noses up at all this, the toy industry is massive, worth £3.2bn in the UK alone. This isn't all trains of course, even wooden ones, but it is a big pot of cash and explains why all our main manufacturers feel it is worth keeping a toe in this particular water. 

Elsewhere in the mag, I'm also explaining fiddle yards as simply as possible. The biggest problem with this was that I found my stock of fiddle yard photos was very light, something I'll be rectifying at future shows!

No comments: