Thursday, March 10, 2016

RTP buildings aren't a new idea

Bridge 

Digging around the back of a cupboard this week, I found a little bridge. 10cm long, just over 6cm wide and 3cm tall. Made of plaster. 

Hump-back bridge Small is a A.C.E.M. Product manufactured in Nottingham. A little web searching tells me very little more about them other than the range included tunnel mouths, retaining walls and dry stone walling. 

According to the box, the world distributors are none other than Edward Exley of Baslow, Derbyshire. They were in good company with the (for the time) well reguarded coaches produced by the same firm.

Supplied ready to plonk, the colouring has an indefinable "oldness" about it. Maybe the colour just looks like something out of an old magazine. 

Can anyone shed more light on this?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too have been trying to find out something about A.C.E.M of Nottingham... I've had some of their products stashed away since my teens (stone walling and a set of bridge supports). I'm currently working on a new baseboard section and decided that I really should use them, as they look so good! I've painted them up to match stonework elsewhare on the layout. I'd assumed that they were plaster but think that there must be some other additive as they are very heavy... but can find no information on the internet.
Have you been able to discover anything more since posting your item?

Phil Parker said...

Sorry - no more info. It would be nice to see the models used though so send photos once they are in place. Thanks