Monday, March 28, 2016

Peco K6 telephone box

Phone Box bits

I've always had a thing for red telephone boxes.I love the idea of a standard building dotted around the countryside, and of course they are now indisputably vintage now we all have mobiles.

When I spotted that Peco had introduced a 7mm plastic kit for the classic K6 kiosk, I knew I was going to have to build one. With an O gauge project on the horizon, now is the time to take the plunge.

More to the point, there are two kits in the box and I'll only need one, so the first can be built for fun.

First impressions are good. The mouldings are fine with commendably thin glazing bars. The door is moulded into the side so leaving it open, something that almost never happens on real boxes thanks to the strong door closer, is very difficult. I especially hate this on 4mm scale boxes from Merit where the sign is incorrectly moulded into the door. If I'm being picky, the sides don't have enough relief, the door and windows are slightly proud on the real thing and not at all proud on the kit.

Work starts with a spray of Humbrol 153 Matt Insignia Red followed by a blast of satin varnish. I'd not bother for 4mm but in 7, it's nice to see a little sheen and airbrushing paint really kills any hint of this. This is then left to dry before work starts on the interior, of which more tomorrow.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI PHIL,
IS THERE A BASE,AND GLAZING WITH THIS MODEL THANK YOU

Phil Parker said...

THE ANSWER IS ON THE NEXT DAY https://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2016/03/inside-box.html