Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My Golden Virginia tins?

Plastic tubs

In our garage you can find a shelf full of Golden Virginia tobacco tins. The contents were smoked many years ago by my grandad and then replaced with random nails, screws and bolts. Many other people can make the same claim and if they can't you can even buy empty tins on eBay.

Not being a smoker, I'm not going to add to the collection. However, kicking around my computer are several Wriggly's Extra tubs. 7cm tall and 5cm in diameter with snap close lids, they seem too useful to throw away. Add to that my own collection of random hardware and I really need to work out a way to use them properly for storage. Some sort of rack with big holes cut in it I think.

Much better to use them this way than send them for landfill anyway. Wonder if they will last as long as grandads tins though?

4 comments:

Apple Tree said...

I use Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup and Black Treacle tins. Far too good to throw away and will last for ever !

Mark said...

Another useful source of boxes for storing things are BioEars ear plugs. Apparently I snore and my wife swears by these, with the added bonus that I get to keep the box!

They are approximately 7.5cm by 4.5cm by 1.5cm and are great for N or OO9 scale wheels, greenwich coupling kits, tiny BA nuts and bolts etc. Being made from clear plastic it's also easy to find what you need quickly.

Anonymous said...

Two nice things about the old Persil washing machine sachet containers that I use are that they are:
1 - square, so easy to stack
2 - transparent so you can see things in them.

The local Chinese provides food in stout plastic containers with a plastic covering heat-sealed onto a lip at the top. I now have a section of the shed with vertical planks of wood about 3" apart, and with saw cuts in them for the lips. Every time we have a Chinese I get 3 or 4 new drawers for storage...

Nick Brad said...

Phil, the storage solution for these was invented years ago, Spice racks! I think these tubs may be a little wider than your average spice jar, but most of them had wiggle room and if not, a piece of dowel or any cheap rod really can be used to hold them on a narrow shelf along the back of the workbench so they're easily to hand :)