Thursday, October 16, 2014

What's in the railcar box?

 
 
I don't know why, but when I first opened up the box, I was surprised by the cast whitemetal sides. In my mind, I'd expected etched brass parts for these and had already started to ponder how I would form the tumblehome - something I've had little success with in the past.
 
No worries here. Wrapped in tissue paper are cleanly cast whitemetal bit ready to be slotted together. OK, so the moulded handrails need to be replaced but that's not a great problem.
 
 
Where I expected etched, I got whitemetal. Where I wanted etch, I got whitemetal too. The chassis is a lump of the stuff plus etched waggly bits and a load of fittings. the brass pins for tieing waggly bits together could be interesting. I'd have expected rivets to squash, so some neat soldering will be required here.
 

1 comment:

Chris Ford said...

Well at least you won't have to add any lead weight. Watching this one with interest.