Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tidying up the baseboard edge



I'm known to bang on about layout presentation. It doesn't matter how good your modelling is, if the beautiful scene is surrounded by what looks like the badly assembled contents of a skip, the overall effect is ruined.

On the other hand, a tidy setup can improve the model no end. One of our club layouts has just completed a very neat fascia panel and it really sets to the model off perfectly.

While I believe all this, I'm not always that good as following my own advice. Several hours of my time have been spend electronically tidying up the edges of dioramas that will appear in print to remove paint or glue runs. Time I could have spent with the paintbrush doing the job in real life. In fact, it would almost certainly have been quicker!

So, look at the big picture. If there are runs on the front of baseboard, a quick sand and some paint will be as effective in improving a model as any amount of etch brass fiddly bits.

No comments: