Thursday, August 14, 2014

People painting in BRM

In this month's BRM, I've been painting some model people.

After my efforts with the little nissen hut diorama, I fancied producing another one. Again, the people are 7mm scale mouldings from S&D Models. These are really top-notch castings that stand up to the close scrutiny of the camera lens.

When you hear anyone mention painting people, the default position is "You ought to look at what military modellers do". I beg to differ - for a start we usually need quite a lot of people on a layout whereas they can spend many hours working on a single figure. There is also a tendency to go for "hyper realism" with very deep shadows and bright highlights that doesn't really work on a model railway.


 
If you purchase the special WH Smith bumper pack, you'll also find me on the DVD with my paint brushes out. This time I'm showing how to dry-brush a model wagon. I haven't seen the results yet but the producer says it looks good. At the very least, this is an excellent use of the technology. Dry-brushing is very hard to explain in print but doing the same thing when people can watch what you are doing - let's just hope that a few people find it useful anyway.
 
 
In reviews, I've taken a look at the Revell Beginners airbrush - it's not a bit of kit I've seen reviewed before but I think it's definitely worth a look if you are in the market for spray painting equipment.
 
 

 

No comments: