Thursday, December 19, 2013

P-51 Mustang Egg Plane

 
 
A little catch-up time allowed me to finish painting the pilot figure for my egg plane. Being a reasonable "scale" there's space for plenty of detail. To make things even easier - there are transfers provided for the manga-style pilot eyes. I'll come back to eye transfers another day but this is the first time I've used anything like this and it certainly looks good in a cartoonish sort of way.

After this, all I needed to do was fix the canopy in place (once I found it anyway) with a touch of plastic glue and we were ready for take-off.

I'm really pleased with the result. It's not perfect - the hand painted silver on the canopy isn't quite as good as the sprayed version on the body and you can see through it in certain lights. The Humbrol Clear worked well with a suitably glossy finish. Perhaps some polishing would improve it but truth is, I never need a gloss finish so I'm not spending a lot of time in that direction.

Best of all though, this was fun. There wasn't any deadlines to keep an eye on. If it turned out rubbish I've only wasted a few quid so who cares? Nearly as much fun as making the animation at the top of this post. Maybe next time I'll fit a little motor. That would be fun too.

Egg Pilot



No comments: