Friday, July 19, 2013

Locomotive Repair

Cracked07Yesterday I had a broken 07 shunter and was not happy. I chucked the bits back in the box, shut the lid and left it for the rest of the day.

As the show quietened down, I summoned up the courage to have a look. It appeared that the model had hit the floor on the bottom corner of the front bufferbeam.

The buffer had broken off and a crack ran up the front and along the top of the nose. A bad crack, all the way through.

The front and top corner handrails were gone, so had several of the marker lights.

I didn't notice it at the time, but so was the back buffer on the same side. This didn't get noticed until I found it while we were packing up.

Back home, I started the repairs. First, the cracks were glued back together with Zap-a-Gap superglue. Then I attempted to make good the paintwork. A quick coats of acrylic didn't do much but puddling it on did. It filled the gaps that the glue hadn't taken care of. Not perfectly but I reckoned, well enough.

Next the new marker lights were made from square styrene strip cut to length and rounded to match the originals. They aren't quite as good but I can live with this, especially since I found some of the originals (little more than black specks) on the floor of the show. And then lost them again.

Restoring the black stripes with a fine paintbrush helped as did making new handrails.

Repairs Pt1

Finally, a few coats of Humbrol Weathering wash, a bit of powder and some matt varnish.

OK, the result isn't perfect but short of a complete strip down or throwing away the body, it won't be. At least I have a presentable blue 07 again - in real life the reapir isn't nearly as visible as it is in the photo. I'll be more careful in the future.

Repaired07

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the story of the 07. I really appreciate stories of rolling stock that have been repaired, reclaimed, or restored. To me, it’s like a part of the hobby: finding forgotten equipment that has lain for years or decades in boxes in attics or basements, or at swap meets or yard sales.
Would like to read more stories such as this now and then.