Monday, March 25, 2013

Growing corn

Harvesting

With the snow ten feet deep outside, what better time to think about ways to model a cornfield at the height of summer - when the snow will only be five feet deep.

Looking at the scene above, I wondered if the modeller had used some sort of matting to produce the corn. The stalks look far too tightly packed and regular for anything planted by hand. Having spent many hours producing fields using plumers hemp, I know how difficult this can be!

Anyway, a few days later, I'm wandering around Ikea when I spot the doormat selection. From a distance, they certainly have a look. The lightling in the store makes the colours far too orange. You even get the straight lines where the corn has been sown along furrows.

Trimming to look like harvest might be difficult - those bristles are tough, but I wonder if there are possibilities here?

Mats

No comments: