Monday, January 28, 2013

Barclay Diesel refurbishment

Poorly Barclay

Long time readers of this blog will know that I've built several War Department Barclay diesel locomotives. I've done then in 3.4, 4 and 7mm but always from a Mercian Models kit. It's a nice looking loco that has a claim to fame as being the first railway engine dragged up the beaches on D-Day.

If you visit the Mercian stand at an exhibition, you'll see the test builds I've carried out. Well, at least you'll see the 7mm test build. The 4mm version has had a hard life including at least one free-fall sans parachute to the floor. Trevor has returned it to me for restoration. Oh, and while I'm at it, could I repaint it green for a change.

Looking at the model once I'd stripped it down, it really was in a sorry state. While I have been supplied with all the bits that fell off. It's not all bad - the buffer springing still works !Before I re-attach everything, I should sort out the frames which now are more parallelogram than rectangle. But before that, I better remove the old paint.


Barclay in bits

No comments: