Saturday, February 25, 2012

Animation experiment



My first animated film was produced at the age of 9 using my Dad's Standard 8 camera and a set up with loads of lights in the corner of my bedroom. The subsequent film was shown to the local cine club to great (probably polite) applause.

I learnt a lot from the experience - mostly that it's a good idea to come up with a plot before you are half way through the expensive roll of film. Needless to say, the cost put me off a second epic.

Nowadays things are a lot easier. Da kidz can do what I did with digital cameras and computers. The lucky gits can even buy Lego Film Studios where you get the sets and camera ! They have it far too easy. In my day mutter, mutter....

Anyway, I've always wanted to do one of those films where a Lego model builds itself and finally had a go a few days ago. Thinking I'd buy a nice, new set, I searched central Birmingham. This drew a blank - how ? - but the Pound Shop supplied me with one of those knock-off versions that have appeared since the good people of Denmark lost a copyright case a few years ago. Best-Lock brick are sort of like Lego but cheaper, shiny and don't fit quite as well. I disapprove. They do Army stuff too, which is distinctly un Lego. Booo.

Shot on a stills camera and then thrown through Microsoft Movie Maker, the film above is a bit of an experiment. This time I learnt that you have to put a lot of effort into marking the position of the model and lining up the camera. On the other hand, the thing only cost a quid and I enjoyed making it, so who cares ?

On the other hand, perhaps time-lapse is the way to go...

No comments: