Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Ruston 48DS revamp

48DS

I'm not one for updating old models. Once I've finished a project, it tends to stay finished unless a bit of routine maintainance is called for. Models are built to the best standard I can manage and then left alone. There are a few tucked away that probably could do with a bit of attention rather than being hidden but then I've so many nice new things to do it never seems to happen.

However, there is one model that I'm less than proud of and feel the need to fettle. It's my smallest locomotive, a Ruston 48DS.

This tiny model loco is a TAG Models etched brass kit sitting on top of a Tenshodo SPUD. It's runs, much tot he surprise of people looking at the layout, and thanks to every nook & cranny being filled with lead, pretty well too.

48DS and bookBut, there are problems. Firstly, the cab sides are on back to front. I don't know how I managed this but I did. The biggest spur was the purchase of David Halls excellent book on the locos years ago. The beautiful watercolour on the front made me realise how poor a model I'd built.

So, it is now time to turn the caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. Or at least make this 48DS a rather prettier example.

1 comment:

Paul. said...

Hi,
You may be interested to know that RTModels are going to produce an etched chassis, I've built up the test etch on my workbench here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/428/entry-7233-rt-models-ruston-48ds-chassis-test-etch/

Paul.