Sunday, April 26, 2009

Wood turning


Bag holder
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
Isn't it a masterpiece ? 24 hours ago this was a square stick but yesterday, through the skill of my hand I turned it from oblong lump of wood into a truly useful item.

Since you ask, a shopping bag holder. Put the plastic handles over the thin bits and carry them by grasping the comfy centre section.

OK, so I can't entirely take credit for this work. Woodex is on again this weekend and I dropped in out of curiosity. In the past it's been an entertaining show and a useful source of cheap veneers and tools for my other model making activities. Being only a 5 minute drive away helps of course, as does an entry fee only slightly more expensive than a pint of beer.

2CVWood turning is something that looks very relaxing and pleasant to do. Like snooker it also looks pretty easy but once you have a go I suspect that this will prove to be far from the truth. Anyway Guy Ravine, a professional wood turner and teacher, offered free half hour sessions on the lathe so I booked up for one.

When I got onto the stand for my go a square stick was chucked up in the lathe and Guy proceeded to show me the basics of turning (pun intended) this into a round stick. Most of the session was hands on with a quick demo of each tool followed by plenty of time to have a go with it.

First we made a round bit of wood, I'd always though this would be hard work with the tool bouncing off each corner but it wasn't, then the thin parts were formed with a couple of pointed tools. Rounding the ends came next and was by far the hardest job. You have to "roll" the tool along the support and I found it difficult to get this consistent, hence my un-symmetrical work. Then the centre section took shape and we finished off with 5 different grades of sandpaper and some finishing oil.

first cut

Result, a nice smooth object that I can be proud off and hands that were slightly slippery but a bit more recovered from the grittiness left over from building work.

In all the work took about 40 minutes but as there were a surprisingly low number of people wanting to have a go this wasn't a problem. Guy was an excellent teacher and I felt completely confident, but not entirely competent, in using some huge wood carving tools on a tiny bit of dead tree. This session was worth far more than the cost of entry alone !

If you fancy learning how to do this yourself, Guy Ravine runs courses in Weedon, Northamptonshire. Tel: 01327 340410 or e-mail: g.ravine@btinternet.com

NGK PlugHaving had a go I can understand why people enjoy turning. Watching the wood and shape as you work with it is immensely satisfying. I suppose it's like being a reverse potter and probably gives the same sense of enjoyment. However people do use their hobby to make odd things. One demo showed how to make wooden hats, handy for those times when you need discrete protection from falling objects I suppose. Interesting demo though with some fascinating techniques. At one point a light is put inside the hat so the outside can be turned to the right thickness. The light seen throught the wood give an indication of the depth left.

Another exhibit was a wooden model of a spark plug. Not any old spark plug either - an NGK type 14mm plug don't you know !

sea horseStill, it was all good fun. I still don't own a proper wood lathe but I could be tempted. It is a messy hobby though. Sawdust and wood chippings everywhere !

No comments: