Saturday, March 21, 2009

Military vehicles

In between soldering sessions I waved the airbrush over some military vehicles for Chris Mead's layout "Overlord". Set in Southampton Docks in the run up to D-Day, hence the name, the model is covered in vehicles already but always needs more to fill the space.

Someone from Hornby Magazine is coming over on Monday to take some pictures of the model so the layout is set up in the clubrooms for the moment. When I went over to see how things were getting on on Tuesday there was a little pile of unpainted army hardware. Foolishly I volunteered to finish a couple of them and ended up with a small box full and some paint. Paint that I think is a bit on the light side but then it's not my train set.

The main colour was quick and easy to spray although being a Revell colour the coverage was poor. Tyres were harder as the models were complete so some delicate poking around took place to try not to get paint anywhere it wasn't wanted. There are a few green chassis which should be black but I'm sure no one will notice them on the finished model.

Glazing is Krystal Klear and not properly dry when I took this picture, hence the white fringes. Mind you the windscreen on my camper van is a bit like that...

Update: The correct colour is Humbrol 86. The vehicles have now been hand-repainted into this by the person who gave me the duff information in the first place !

No comments: