Thursday, March 19, 2009

A little jig


A little jig
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker

Time for something more conventional today after my trip to the machine shop.

The chassis sides were shortened to match the locomotive plan by snipping off the excess at the front and flexing the rear to it broke on the convenient half etched line that occured just where I wanted it. Then everything was jigged up on my Hobby Holidays chassis jig for assembly.

The parts were nearly put together as intended except that at the front end the cut out for the spacer was lopped in half as part of the process of sorting the length. Rather than mess around with the slot, the locating lugs were removed from the spacer and I just soldered it in place.

Thanks to the jig everything seems square - I don't like relying on the ends being accurate once I've ham-fistedly hacked away at them but I am sure the more important axles are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the sides.

No comments: