Sunday, March 15, 2009

Kingsbury 3mm Society Event


Dudley Withers Pug
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
Scale specific shows are evil. Off you trot with the best of intentions, "I'll buy one or two items and chat to some people", you think. No need to spend very much money in the credit crunch times, just go along to show some support. Well, it's a nice day out with a train ride so why not ?

So how is it that I have 1.5 new loco kits and the mechanism for a Snaefell tram. Plus all the "little bits" I was looking for ?

The answer lies in the evil that is the second hand stall. Most of it is covered with old Triang locos and rolling stock as sensible prices (Hint: if you want to buy TT then join the 3mm Society. You'll save your membership fee on one purchase compared with dealers or eBay and still get an excellent magazine 4 times a year into the bargain) but at one end there are the kits'n'bits. On the top of the pile was a beautiful shiny etch for a Y6 tram engine. The gold of the metal looked lovely in the lunchtime sun. It glinted and called to me. I resisted as the Y6 (Toby for Awdry fans) may be a lovely loco but it has no place on a Scottish branch line. No place at all. None.

After a trip around the hall and chat with 3SMR about Bull-Ant motor bogies for an Isle of Man project I could still hear the kit calling to me. Back at the stall it had been submerged by some carriage etches but was still there. I gave in. Out came the cheque book and along with a GWR Railcar etch and few other miscellaneous bits the deal was done. 3SMR provided a motorising unit and I was happy.

Now, I can rationalise this purchase. The etch is a Connoisseur models original designed for O gauge. This means it's in the Finney & Smith range and according to their web site costs £33.50 including casting. So I saved a tenner there. The power unit at £33 is about the same price as buying the bits and making my own - but with the benefit of not having to do this. So if we ignore the fact I didn't need the model in the first place, it is a bargain !

Also on show at Kingsbury was the new 14.2 straight track kit which was selling well. Officially it's not available yet but if you knew who to ask (Hint: The man with a length of track in front of him and bags of the plastic sleeper mouldings), an "under the counter" supply could be obtained. This will make a nice test track.

The photos shows one of the competition entries - an ex-L&Y pug. This is the famous Dudley Withers kit and really works despite it's tiny size. Apparently the kit's going into production again, I can hear it calling to me already...

Final hint. From Birmingham City Centre, get the 914 bus not the one shown on the leaflet. The ride is a great 10 minutes up the expressway and through spaghetti junction. Well worth the ticket price.

No comments: