Sunday, March 22, 2009

Barclay Cabside


Barclay Cabside
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
With the main sub-assemblies soldered together I get to make this beast look a bit more like a steam locomotive.

The cab sides needed 1mm taking off the bottom but otherwise were ready to use. Sadly it seems that Barclay didn't see fit to rivet the sides of 14" locos so I had to mark the positions for this detail as best I could and try to keep the lines straight while punching rather than folloowing a nice set of half etched markers as is normally the case. Then I removed a couple and solder ed on the flat strip that is half etched with rivets for cab beading.

To make the job manageable the two vertical lines of rivets by the handrails have been reduced to one - I'm not convinced the metal would have take the two rows so close together (1mm separation) without distortion. As it was I ended up tweaking everything flat after the session in the punch.

And the bits above the cab to support the roof - each had a bit of scrap etch fitted to the back otherwise there is no way I'd have kept them, this straight !

No comments: