Sunday, February 01, 2009

Sanding sealed hull


Sanding sealed hull
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Since I've used a very thing plywood skin for the Brede hull I think it's going to need a fibreglass cladding to protect it. Before slapping this on though I've given all the woodwork, inside and out, a coat of sanding sealer.

This is a smelly job so I did it in the garage. Unfortunately the garage is pretty cold at this time of year and the sanding sealer wasn't exactly liquid - it had the same viscosity as porridge. I did try thinning it a little with cellulose thinner which helped a big getting it to the viscosity of runny yogurt. This brushed on eventually. The inside isn't perfect by a long way but it's OK and should protect the wood from any water ingress. Outside went a lot better but then I'm not contending with the ribs and stringers.

Drying time was negligible. Smelly time last a lot longer.

No comments: