Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fox Walker finished chassis

Fox Walker finished chassis
If you were paying attention to yesterdays picture you'll have spotted a nearly completed chassis for the Fox Walker. Since the last update I have dropped the wheels out (you can do this with Romfords which is the main reason I love 'em) primed and painted the frames.
With the wheels restored and motor/gearbox combo installed the whole lot made a few passes along the test track. Some PCB fitted between the frames to give the pick-ups something to hang on. This is a live chassis so I only had to fit these on one side. As usual, 28swg phosphor bronze wire does for these.

Next the brakes went on. Being a Fox Walker there are several options and for this model locomotive I've gone for the earliest wooden (looking) option. The top of the hanger fits the wires with only a little bit of reaming. To solder I use Carrs red label flux and normal solder. Red label is a non corrosive flux and shouldn't give any trouble in the future and won't require the extensive scrubbing the normal stuff needs. It's not as good but works well enough for this task which is why I still have a pot.

Brake rodding is a weird wobbly set of rods that fit very nicely. These are certainly not parts I'd like to make up from scratch !

Finally some sandboxes are made up from plastic. I'd prefer some labour saving whitemetal versions but they weren't to hand and hacking some Evergreen fat strip isn't too difficult and makes me feel I'm making something rather than just assembling a model.

No comments: