Saturday, January 10, 2009

Insulated wheels


Sort of finished chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Looking at this chassis you might think all the hard work is done. The valve gear is attached. It has a motor.

I thought the same. The still photo doesn't show it but when electricity is supplied to the motor all the wheels turn and the rods move around in the expected manner. At this point I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. All that was needed was to fit some pick-ups and track testing could begin.

So I flip the model over and take at look and with horror realise my mistake.

Romford wheels come in two flavours - insulated and uninsulated. The idea is that you put one sort on each side of the chassis so that half the electricity collection is done for you. Add wipers to the backs of the insulated wheels and a running locomotive is the result.

Of course if you mix this up with (say) uninsulated wheels front and back on one side and in the middle on the other then you have a recipe for sparks and short circuits but no movement. It's a beginners mistake that I shouldn't have made but I suppose it just goes to show that we are all fallible, or in my case stupid. There's nothing for it, the middle wheels will have to come out and be swapped over. Happy days.

No comments: