Saturday, January 24, 2009

Clamps


Line of clamps
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Modelling Rule No. 723: You can never have enough clamps.

On the Brede there are 19 sprung loaded plastic clamps holding the wooden side in place above the chine line. Why 19 ? Because I don't have any more to hand !

For a change I have been lucky. This model boat is a small enough scale that the long nosed clamps will just reach the chine. Much bigger and I'd need to use pins or screw in planking clamps to hold this wood in place. I'd not thought about this in advance but will do in future. I suppose this is the sort of thing that you discover by trial and error normally and call "experience". It certainly explains why some boat building friends prefer smaller scales for scratchbuilding.

No comments: