Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Brede Lifeboat


Brede Kitbits
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.

I have a clear modelling bench. This is not natural so I've dragged out a couple of projects, one train and one boat.

Starting with the boat, it's going to be a Brede Class lifeboat. 1/25th scale based on some vac-formed bits I bought at the model boat show a couple of years ago. The omens aren't good for this project as earlier this year I tried to build a pilot boat from the same source and had to abandon the job. The mouldings were horrible and hard information scarce.

One big difference this time is that I have a plan. And what a plan ! A quick e-mail followed by a cheque brought me a 6 foot long sheet of paper with a side, plan and section views with an absolute mass of detail. So much in fact, that my plan to build a reasonably simple model has been replaced with an idea that I'll be aiming significantly higher. One day I'd like to enter it into a competition class at the Midlands Model Engineering show.

The plan is to 1/20th scale so my first stop will be a photocopy shop to get the slices reduced. Then to the local model shop to acquire many sheets of plasticard to make bulkheads.

Obviously the model will be radio controlled - a cheap receiver plugged into a rather more sophisticated than normal speed control from Action Electronics is already in the bit box - bought at last years boat show. Still, 2 years gestation isn't bad for a modeling project is it ?

Oh, and in case you are wondering, here's what the model should look like eventually:


Brede lifeboat


No comments: