Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Underboiler pipework


Underboiler pipework
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
More pipes. And brake bits.

On the real Garratt all the stuff underneath is connected to the engine units. On the model we want to be able to remove these without recourse to spanners.

Oh, and you don't get any particularly useful photos either from any source (I know, I've looked). Luckily the shilouette is all important and getting this right isn't that difficult. The kit parts all fit nicely and there is a clever bit of work representing a join between firebox and brake support.

I did have a little work to get brake rodding and pipes through the firebox but it's only drilling a couple of holes.

Now I can remove the boiler cradle from the engine and you it all looks like everything is connected up when the locomotive is on the track. I'm going to paint it all black anyway so you're not going to see it. So there.

No comments: