Sunday, November 23, 2008

Carpet


Melbridge Capet
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
What's the hardest substance in the world ?

Carbon Steel ?

Diamond ?

Wrong. It's the floor found in the halls of the NEC.

Anyone who has spent a few days standing on these will know that after a few hours your feet are wanting to climb your spine and scream at your head, "Get me off this floor NOW !!!".

Of course we've been here before. Experience has taught us that NEC shows are hard work. Since the layout has to operated standing up - it's so much easier a position to talk to people from for a start - some artificial aids are required. Hence a 9ft long roll of carpet can be found behind the layout. I know it doesn't look pretty but by mid day Saturday it was getting some envious looks from other exhibitors. It was a bit of a surprise to find it still there on Sunday !

Anyway, while we may have been clever at ground level, head height was different. Thanks to my inability to screw the lighting poles to the legs properly, these drooped. This ment the four spots were lower then normal and had to be angled in a bit to point at the model. Which put them in my eyeline. All day. By the end of Saturday I had a crushing headache. Getting back home I flopped without enough appetite to eat some rather nice sausage and chips - something that those who know me say shows how ill I was. It also explains the lack of post. Sorry. I'll catch up in the week.

Sunday morning, the problem was fixed thanks to some work with a big screwdriver and little packing pieces made from wooden tea stirrer - result, a much better end to the day which considering the "fun" getting out was good news for at least one fluorescent jacketed idiot...

No comments: