Thursday, October 23, 2008

MORE Garratt bits


Garratt bits
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I had pretty much run out of parts I could fit to the Garratt just in time for my long weekend of shows. Yesterday I took a trip over to see Trevor to sort a few things out (in case any one is wondering what happened to the Dunalastair build, that was one of them, it will be back soon) and while I was over there, pick up the remaining parts.

Aside from a few lengths of brass wire (fat, 0.9mm and 0.7mm) and motors gears wheels etc. the big news is that the lost wax castings are in.

These bits in brass and nickel silver give me the crossheads and slide bars amongst others. Without them I couldn't do the waggly bits so now...

The casting quality is very high. There's quite a lot of detail on these bits and little or no flash. The cylinder fronts need to be drilled out so I'll have to find a sharp bit for that as that nickel will be hard. Whatever, this is a whole lot better than making these sort of things out of bits of brass fret and whitemetal !

No comments: