Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition


Minature traction engines
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.

How can you describe the MME ? Is it several thousand men (and lets be honest, it is nearly all men) in search of a lathe ? Actually, that's not fair - some of them are after non-ferrous metals or roller bearings too. I suppose I could bang on about the hundreds of high quality models that have consumed millions of hours of their builders time, but then you would be better off looking at the pictures I took.

In fact I think it's better not to try, the photos tell the story much better than any words. There were of course exceptional models, a 7 1/4 inch Duchess for example, and fascinating ones such as a perfect miniature of a grinding machine. To be honest unless you spent a lot of time examining in forensic detail each exhibit you'd miss most of what was on display. And even at a 5 day long show you wouldn't have the time to do this !

Being there for a couple of days working the KMBC stand, I did take one unique opportunity. In a side hall there is a lecture programme, a hang over from days of yore when this hobby was about self improvement as much as anything else. My knowledge of laser cutting and silver soldering is greater than it was. I'd have learnt about painting too if it hadn't been for that pesky Uckfield show meaning I was away over the weekend - next year maybe.

One process I started was that of looking for a lather. Lathes have always represented for me a bit of a pinnacle as far as tools go. In the next year though I suspect I may end up buying one. And this isn't the sort of tool you can get on the high street. Luckily with several suppliers present I was able to fiddle with the various machines on offer and talk to people about them.

My criteria involves a well engineered and accurate machine that isn't very big - 18 inches long ideally. A cheap Chinese machine looked a good possibility at one stage but talking to an enthusiastic user it turns out that the tailstock doesn't line up perfectly with the centre of the chuck, which in turn doesn't grip round workpieces very accurately. Obviously you get what you pay for ! Still - I have started and will happily accept suggestions for anyone who has actually used the machines.

Enough from me though - go and look at the photos.

Update: Watch a short video I made of some of the more mobile bits at the show.

No comments: