Monday, September 01, 2008

Propshafts


Pilot propshafts
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Once I had a nice solid hull buoyant hull - then I made some holes in it. It wasn't my fault, if this boat is going anywhere, it needs propellers sticking out of the bottom. Some rudders might be a good idea too.

This is my first model boat with twin props. Since the plans supplied with the kit are basic, and I can't find any more information out about the prototype, their location involves a little guesswork. I know how far back they go but the position across the hull has been done by eye. Lots of drawing on the plastic with a CD marker pen and peering along the boat until I was sort of happy got this right - I think (hope !).

The shafts are a pair of very nice stainless steal items which incorporate some phosphor bronze bearings in the ends. I forced some plastic tube over the ends and used this to give me something to attach the supports to.

The holes in the hull ended up being longer than expected. I wanted to keep the angle they went in as shallow as possible - as it is the line up with the motors is pretty close to spot on so at least something worked !

Filling the hull holes took three goes with Alteria plastic filler. There may be another splodge to go in once the paint goes on to get a perfect finish but at present it looks OK. Multiple coats were required because being a cellulose filler, it shrinks slightly when it dries and I was trying to use as little as possible to make tidying up easier.

No comments: