Monday, September 22, 2008

Lighthouse


Lighthouse
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
OK, due to public demand, here is the finished model I showed on the blog a couple of days ago. Strictly speaking this isn't a lighthouse, it's a navigation aid to assist boats entering the harbour and stop them performing a Navy Lark style docking.

Taking up the story from last time: The clear lamp part at the top has been wrapped with thin plastic with a rectangular hole cut in it. A raised area, which I like to think represents a wooden panel, complete with access door was fixed to the front. The prototype I was following has a recess but I don't have a way of cutting glass so improvised.

The dome was segmented with microstrip lines that were carefully marked out. I bent a paper strip around the outside and measured the overlap. Then subdivided this and transferred the marks back to the dome. That way each "slice" is identical. I know it doesn't matter but you'd notice if I got it wrong. The lines represent seams in the roofing lead.

Next came painting. The window was masked carefully and the whole building sprayed with car primer. It was only really at this point I had any idea if this building would work. Since it seemed OK, a couple of coats of Humbrol 147 (pale grey) were followed by lines in green. Finally washes of dark grey and dark brown finished the job. For some reason the paint on the "wood " strip crinkled slightly, I suspect a reaction between the enamel paint and acrylic primer but can't be sure. It looks good though, properly weather beaten.

Anyway, I like it. On the layout it's presence gives depth to the board and certainly shows I do a bit of scratchbuilding.

No comments: