Sunday, July 06, 2008

Little Critter


Little Critter
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Having completed one On30 project I was so enamoured with the result I've decided to start on a second one. This time it's a diesel locomotive, what the Americans call a "Little Critter". Basically a freelance (but hopefully plausible) model loco based on a standard gauge model from a smaller scale.

The kit is a Unit Models Plymouth conversion kit. I liked it when I saw it because the result doesn't have the look of a standard gauge model with a giant cab - a very common problem with conversions of this type. The kit is based on a Bachmann HO scale shunter and consists of a new resin cab plus bits for the exhaust stack and front handrail.

Stripped down PlymouthFirst job is to strip down the Bachmann model to remove the cab. A bit of wiggling of the tabs that hold it to the footplate and some light force did the job. Since the cab is thrown away it's not the end of the world if it gets broken but pride wanted me to get it off in one piece. The problem is it means I have a nice, well painted HO scale locomotive cab that is too good to throw away...

No comments: