Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ruston bonnet part 3


ruston bonnet
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Now for the biggie - attaching the bonnet. There is a lot of metal here and I knew soldering would be challenging.

At the front a couple of slots take the tabs on the front for location. At the back a half etch line (that I'd previously ignored) shows there the back should go. That is a nice touch and works really well.

I tacked the front on by blobbing solder in the bottom of the tabs as they emerged from the footplate. Then did the same at the back and made sure everything was lined up.

Finally, out came the gas torch again and solder ran around the inside back and along the front below the fan. I was surprised how easy this was - that nickel really solders well. A quick blast of flame and I was blowing molten metal along the join.

No comments: