Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Back to the Y7


y7 with castings attached
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
There is a hiatus in other projects while I wait for parts so I'm cracking on with one of the many half finished jobs that litter my workspace.

A dig through the bits showed I was a lot further down this road (track ?) than I thought. The only etched part to be soldered on was the roof. This needed some gentle forming around handy pots of flux and then the rainstrips were added from wire.

After this the fun with castings begins. Happily those supplied are really excellent and need next to no cleaning up. Some of the holes had to be enlarged to take the spigots but that's a quick job with a reamer. Then out with the low-melt solder and on they go.

Not everything can be soldered. the smokebox door and tank fillers will be glued as I can't get at the back of them to solder but that isn't a problem. The backhead will stay out until after paiting as it makes the brushwork so much easier.

No comments: