Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Brittle Plastistruct ?

William Evans writes: I was just wondering about modeling out side as I would like to make abridge for a model railway but would like to make it out of durable products as I have been told Plastistruct become brittle after a short time of being outside (12 months or so) any advice for me?

Years ago I built a garden railway. Although I didn't try plastic buildings there was a serious problem with brittle sleepers on the Peco track. The problem was caused by ultraviolet light attacking the plastic. Peco have now changed the plastic mix apparently so the problem shouldn't occur.

If I'm right, all you need to do is paint the Plastistruct properly and it will be protected. Keep and eye on this too - garden railways need a fair bit of maintenance so you need to consider re-paints every couple of years.

It is still possible that the heating and cooling effects of the weather could damage the material. To test this, put a section of material in the freezer overnight, then leave it out during the day. Repeat a few times and see what happens - and let us all know please.

Handy link: The Beckingham and South Wales Railway

Hope this helps !

No comments: