Friday, January 25, 2008

Banta Modelworks Crossing Shanty Kit


shanty kit
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Ever since I built the cardboard model boat, I’ve been fascinated by laser cut wood. That kit was fantastic – no effort was required to cut the parts out or scribe planks, yet you were still working with lovely material.

For a couple of years I’ve bought an American Model Railway magazine for finescale modeller. Some of the most interesting content is the advertising. Pages and pages of it, many ads referring to laser cut kits for buildings. When I found a UK supplier – NG Trains – I decided I had to have a go.

So here we are with the Banta Models C&NW Crossing Shanty. A model picked not for its suitability for a future model railway, but simply because I liked the look of the finished product. The 7mm scale version suits the growing collection of Bachmann On30 rolling stock.

Out of the bag the parts look promising. As well as plywood there is cardboard and clear plastic along with a whitemetal chimney. The cutting is excellent and I’m keen to get started.

Watch this space for updates on the building.

No comments: