Friday, September 14, 2007

Tooled up


Tool box
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The last job before setting off for a show is to pack the exhibition toolbox. This isn’t superstition but practicality. The way I work is to go through all my modelling drawers and pull out those items I think I’ll need over the weekend.

There are a few obvious candidates such as the track rubber, screwdrivers and a fibre pen for wheel cleaning. I like to take some glue and a supply of different pliers, tweezers and other “tweaking” devices. Some electrical testing tools are needed along with solder and flux to make things good.

After this it’s a bit of a free-for-all. Once upon a time I’d take practically my entire toolkit. In the 80’s though someone kindly stole the toolbox out of the back of a van we were travelling back in so I’ve been cured of that trait. Besides, I own a lot more tools now so I’d need a van just for them !

I know one famous modeller who used to boast how his exhibition toolbox was a tobacco tin – but then he always relied on being able to borrow from other exhibitors, something he did on a regular basis while facing much derision !

No comments: