Saturday, September 22, 2007

Jinty Kit


jintykit
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
OK, so it’s another new project. I’ll get around to finishing one soon, promise. At least I’ve got all the bits for this one.

With a couple of weeks top go until Sudbury show I think it’s time to unearth a new 3mm scale model. Yet again my logic is that with the layout up, I can test the chassis. While I have a test track, it’s only a straight length and so not exactly a realistic simulation of the environment the locomotive will be required to operate in.

The kit is an old 3mm Society model. Looking at the etches though it seems a promising prospect. The chassis is designed with 14.2 and 12mm gauges in mind. It even has provision for compensation !

Talking to the guy who runs the Society shop I discover that this is basically a shot down 7mm model and he has built a few which all went together well. Of course he is an engineer but even then…

We all have different reasons for choosing prototypes for our layouts. This one is being built because the first 3mm model we owned was a Triang Jinty. It will be nice to compare the two.

No comments: