Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Assembling the chassis


1861chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Sticking the chassis together was suprisingly painless. First I cut some strip to act as spacers. Lengths of this were bend into L-shapes and soldered to one side. Then the whole lot was set up on a flat surface (an old CD) with a square across the end to fix the other sides.

The hornblocks were fixed using some jig axles that allow the connecting rods to set the wheelbase. In theory this will set the wheels exactly the right distance apart to ensure free running. As I’ve already mentioned, I did this once and realised that I’d set these too high – the axles would need to be at the very bottom of their travel to be level with the fixed axle. Fortunately a bit of heat and a sharp blade separated the parts and I was able to put them back in the right place.

And no, I don’t know if this will really work. That’s the next step.

No comments: