Friday, August 17, 2007

Midway Models


Midway Models, Leicester
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Fancying a day out, I caught the train, or to be precise 3 trains, to Leicester. My plan revolved around a trip to visit Midway Models. They advertise in Model Boats magazine every month in the Shop Guide section. I’ve always been a fan of model shops and make the effort to visit if I’m in town.

All I can say is that as a boat modeller this shop is worth making the effort for. It is absolutely superb.

One of the biggest problems I have faced as a (relatively) newbie boat modeller is finding the fittings to complete a vessel. You can get the kits but if you want some extra detail, then the search is on. Sometimes what you need is to see the bits in the flesh rather than just look at them in a catalogue or on a web site.

Well this shop has them in spades. It’s not big but then neither are the fittings. What it boasts is a huge range including loads that I’d never seen before.

Of course there are a good range of kits and I confess to being very tempted by several of them but left with a very reasonably priced bag of bits to adorn my models.

I will be back though. Leicester is an interesting city well worth a visit but for me this shop, 20 minutes stroll from the station, is the jewel.

Mail order is available, call: 0116 2701609 and if you do plan a visit a pre-emptive call is also advised in case the friendly owner is out at a show.

No comments: