Thursday, August 16, 2007

Boat deck


deck
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
There are a couple of sheets of plasticard in the boat kit, one for the hull strengtheners and the other for the hull. This is a big bit, which uses most a sheet. It’s a really odd shape too.

Fortunately George provides a template for the part which I duly cut out allowing a little extra to be on the safe side.

Because I like to be different I though a wooden deck would be a nice touch. Now I know I ought to use a bit of wood for this and discard the plastic as a new-fangled interloper, but this is a plastic boat with resin bits. And wood is a hassle to make waterproof. It won’t appreciate the shoving around required to seat the deck in the slot running around the hull.

So out came the Olfa plasticard cutter to put some groves in between decks – two passes seemed enough to give a good impression without going through. Then some coarse sandpaper added a grain effect. Looks nice to me.

And I took two goes to mark out the planks, hence the word “top” on the sheet. No point in following the old maxim “measure twice, cut one” if you cut along the wrong line…

No comments: