Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sailing Pigeon Pie


Pigeon Pie Sailing
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Doesn’t this look lovely ? Pigeon Pie - the largest, most complex and expensive moadel boat I have ever built - complete and on the water. Today was bright and sunny with a stiff breeze, an ideal day to go sailing. Good news as we were supposed to be Slingshot racing as well.

On the water the boat behaved impeccably. Although the wind catches it in some directions there is plenty of power to overcome this. Even side on to the breeze there is little pitching as it’s very stable.

And the model looks smashing. Adding fenders really brought it to life, a bit like dressing a stage set. Some small holes in the bottom of the tyres might be a good idea though as one or two had water in them after the voyage but if that’s as bad as it gets I’m not complaining.

All this means that I can throw away the huge box the model came in. It’s not served any useful purpose for a while but I kept it to remind me that the model needed the finishing touches. A stupid superstitious part of me also likes the “full stop” that chucking the leftovers away gives a project. Tidy people would do this as the project progresses but I prefer to see it as a celebration of successfully getting something finished.

No comments: