Tuesday, May 08, 2007

New project - Tomsk


Tugboat kit
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I’ve been looking forward to this for a couple of weeks with the sort of full-on anticipation that makes me want to really dive into a project. I’ve the sort of enthusiasm for it that means I’ll find odd minutes to progress the job or stay up stupidly late working.

Basically it’s my entry for the Knightcote Model Boat club towing competition.

At the moment it doesn’t look much. What you see is the latest kit from George Norton – a small tugboat. Cost – £9.99

The kit contains four vac-formed bits of plastic. No castings. No instructions. Total freedom, which is what I think is so thrilling. This model will be what I chose to make it.

All I have to do is fit the motor, prop, radio gear and most importantly somewhere the anchor the rope while towing.

I’m told that the way to build an effective tugboat is to have a fast motor driving a big prop. So I have ordered a 380 motor and 35mm propeller. There’s going to be a fair amount of bodging and altering of parts to build this vessel. I don’t even know if it will ever work, but it’s going to be fun finding out.

Oh, and the name. Fans of the Wombles will know that Tomsk will understand.

No comments: