Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Black to basics


boiler
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Once upon a time I painted model railway locomotives black. First I did this with a brush. Later I progressed to Humbrol mini-sprays as I liked the results they gave. Later still I used an airbrush.

The consistent theme was matt. The black was always matt.

Then I read a book on weathering which talked about colour. I realised the error of my ways. If you look at a steam locomotive, you will notice that the smokebox is matt black. The rest of the body is in gloss and the difference shows. Sometimes you only see things if they are pointed out.

Now I am a reformed character. Smokeboxes are still matt but the rest gets a coat of satin varnish. The contrast is marked. It’s amazing how different the finished make the same colour appear.

There is even a difference between methods of application. My favoured mini-spray actually gave a slightly satin finish. Use an airbrush with the same paint though and the result really is matt. There is absolutely no shine. Brush painting is fine as well. Not quite as matt as spraying but not bad. Of course Humbrol has always brushed very well and if you are careful not to re-work sections that have started to cure, will dry to a very fine finish. The smokebox in the picture is brushed as I’m too lazy to mask it and it looks good.

Real experts will tell me that in nature there is no such thing as pure black. It’s always influenced by other colours reflected in it or by the light around it. I don’t really understand that but cheat by weathering everything so my models don’t suffer from “pure” black. I do understand that until you take the edge off the black, the model looks wrong.

This is nothing that a quick dry brush or spray with “Tank Grey” (Humbrol 67) can’t sure though and that’s the next stage for this model.

No comments: