Thursday, January 04, 2007

Armstrong locomotive


Armstrong loco
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
A proper picture of a model locomotive at last !

This is the current state of the Armstrong. It’s looking pretty good and even works.

One problem is that the loco sits 1mm too high. Avoiding this would mean scratchbuilding the footplate out of thin brass or using smaller than scale bogie wheels as they area a tight fit under there.

The model has reached a hiatus however. I have to put it back in the box for a few weeks. You see there is another loco I have promised to have finished for someone in time for the Leamington Spa show in a couple of weeks. This has also sat half completed in a box for too long.

Time is also needed for me to work out how to correct the shape of the outside frames on the Armstrong. They should curve down ahead of the front cranks and don’t. This alters the look to the detriment of the model. I’m thinking about making the extra bits from thick plastic card but this doesn’t seem like proper modelling as I should really use metal. That would be harder to cut to the complex curves and needs to be thick to match the frames so I have a delima

No comments: