Monday, October 02, 2006

Name that boat


Little Miss Minty
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Every boat needs a name. I’ve used vinyl letters before but on this launch I fancied something with a scripty font. Even if I could get this in pre-cut letters, I wouldn’t fancy applying them to a hull as getting nice level text would be a nightmare. It’s one of those jobs that even if it’s slightly wrong, will stand out like a sore thumb.

Since I have used a system that allows production of waterslide transfers from a computer printer for adverts on model building walls, I thought this would be worth a whirl here.

Printing the sheet took a bit of work. The first go went all blotchy but my second attempt was good even if I did print the wrong side of the sheet first. Not sure how this happened as I’m sure I put it in the right way up. The text was laid out in a DTP package (PagePlus) and took only a few minutes.

The hull needed to be painted with gloss so the transfers would sit properly. There was going to be a lot of transfer film showing and this was my best bet of hiding it. Unfortunately even this didn’t really help as you can still see the edges. I think the ink ran a little as well and highlighted the edges.

The effect is pleasing with nothing untoward visible from normal viewing distances. If you can see any problem you have got wet feet !

A few coats of gloss varnish will hopefully keep everything in place. I don’t want them washing off the first time I sail !

No comments: